Festival POLICIES and rules
BLASTOFF is a business primarily engaged in the review of visual, audio, and scripted material, and in the distribution and/or presentation of selections from same.
In order to qualify for an award or screening, please only submit films which are of exceptional technical quality, preferably HD (1920×1080) with exceptional sound mastering and balance. Sound may be stereo or 5.1 surround. Neither BLASTOFF nor the best streaming outlets will consider adding inferior quality footage to their catalogs.
As circumstances change it may become necessary to amend the rules & terms, possibly without notice, from time to time. Submitter agrees to be bound by any rules & terms as amended.
1. Each submission must be accompanied by the applicable submission fee and a completed online entry form. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted. Any add-in category submitted without the accompanying film submission will be ineligible for an award.
2. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via a link on the submission platform, or via Vimeo or YouTube (with password, if required). No other form of submission is acceptable. If you are unable or unwilling to provide BLASTOFF a password and download access, please DO NOT SUBMIT.
3. If the link is found to be inactive, the submission will be deemed disqualified.
4. If a submission is selected for screening or investor presentation, upon request, Participant will be required to submit a clean, screening-ready DCP to BLASTOFF within 7 days of the notification date. To qualify for screening, copies MUST arrive on time, and be clearly labeled with film title, running time (Hr:min:sec), Flat or Scope aspect ratio, and producers’ and directors’ names.
5. Films must have been completed no more than 3 years before our event date. Films selected must be available for screening during the BLASTOFF event.
6. Films or scripts (“entries”) may only be submitted to BLASTOFF once, and are not eligible for re-submission.
7. Films that are publicly available online prior to the most current Festival event date or films with distribution in any region of the world, or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network, or that have screened on a television network or cable television or have been distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are ineligible for competition or any awards, but may be considered for a special screening. Participants are not obliged to sign a distribution deal, whether the film is eligible, or not. To see some of the festival distribution details please go to the Blastoff site “distribution” page.
8. Private invite-only screenings (for instance for cast and crew or donors) do not affect a film’s eligibility.
9. BLASTOFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
10. PROFIT-SHARING SCREENINGS. Certain films may be selected and submitter offered a screening (extra-screening, separate from the official, current festival screenings). Submitter is under no obligation to accept the offer. If accepted, submitter agrees to the screening and to participate in a profit-sharing deal as follows: BLASTOFF will receive 50% and collective submitters will share 50% of the profit from ticket sales for the screening. Submitter will receive a detailed accounting of gross and profits for the screening. Submitter warrants that submitter is authorized to 1) sanction, and participate in, the extra-screening, 2) agree to, and accept, the profit share on behalf of all who have a financial interest in the submission, and 3) assume full responsibility for making disbursements from that share as agreed with those interested parties. Profit will be calculated as gross sales minus a sliding-scale administrative fee (up to a maximum of $100), third-party (not BLASTOFF) costs, as applicable, of ingestion, streaming, ticket-sales percentage, and payment processing fees, and panel host/s payment (for Q&A sessions) if applicable. Note that submitters eligible for the current festival run are not paid for screenings.
11. Films that are selected to screen for the official festival run may not necessarily be eligible for award purposes. Notifications regarding selection for awards may occur subsequent to notifications of selection for exhibition.
12. Each submission, including a work-in-progress, will be judged as a completed work. Entries may be updated with a more recent version. However, once the entry has been judged, no further versions will be eligible for judging.
13. Films will be viewed with the selected genre in mind. BLASTOFF reserves the right to switch the category or otherwise assign a category to fit programming needs and interests, however, films will not be penalized for the original submission selection.
14. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by a Participant for any reason, the Participant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by BLASTOFF in connection with the dispute.
15. Participants must ensure that they have provided a correct and functional email address, which is crucial for the purposes of our notifications and possible updates. We cannot take any responsibility for missed notifications, which will be sent out via email.
16. All payments must be made via the FilmFreeway portal. We cannot accept any other form of payment.
17. Submitted films must be the original work of the submitter/s. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, submitter/s must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of applicant/s statement of authorship or rights secured. By participating in the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
18. Participants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films or promotional materials, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. The Festival expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
19. For any and all promotional purposes BLASTOFF is hereby granted the unrestricted right to utilize any segments, edits, or excerpts from any video, sound, or graphics pertaining to the submission, whether available from the festival platform or not. Participants accept all responsibility for such use, and will notify the festival in a timely manner should the use of any such media become restricted.
Multiple entries in various categories are allowed, each with a separate entry fee.
BLASTOFF has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules) to disclose any of the following information:
i) identities of screeners or judges
ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to a submitted project
iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
Any comments, notes, or opinions ( “opinions”) expressed by BLASTOFF staff, judges, or volunteers are their personal opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of BLASTOFF ownership or management (“Management”). Management explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for such opinions.
Judges’ decisions are final, and not subject to dispute by any other parties. In the event of a judges’ deadlock, the final decision rests with the Festival Director.
Winners receiving prizes which carry cash equivalents are solely responsible for payment of all applicable local, state, and federal taxes.
Press materials and any other physical submissions to the festival will not be returned under any circumstances.
I have read all of the Policies, understand and have complied with same, and assume full responsibility for any non-compliance.
I warrant that I am authorized to participate and that there are no disputes regarding participation.
I also warrant that any submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I understand that failure to abide by any of the provisions of the Policies will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee/s.
I acknowledge that BLASTOFF will not provide a refund for any entry fee.
PARTICIPANT HEREBY AGREES TO ABIDE BY ALL FESTIVAL POLICIES AND STIPULATIONS AND TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH PARTICIPATION, AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
If any provision of these Policies is held unenforceable in any district, then BLASTOFF may modify such provision for, or consider it void in, that district. All remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
As circumstances change it may become necessary to amend these Policies, possibly without notice, from time to time. Participants agree to be bound by any Policies, current or as amended.
If you disagree with, or do not wish to consent to the Policies, or a part thereof, please do not submit any material or participate in the use of any of the Services. If you do access, use, or participate in the use of any, or any part, of the Services, you agree that you are, or the business or entity for which you are an agent is, thereby bound by all of the current Policies and those that may be incorporated into the Policies from time to time.